Google makes things a little bit more complicated

Wednesday, March 13, 2013






I wanted to share this bit of information with you all. As you can tell by the screenshot above Google is going to retire Google Reader on July 1st of this year. I don't know why, but this bothers me for several reasons. I use GR to follow my blogs, and know that there is about 110 of you that read this blog via GR.

So, if you want to continue reading my blog you can follow on Google Friend Connect or e-mail subscription, links to the left, or on hellocotton or bloglovin'. I wouldn't trust GFC, I've been hearing rumors about them wanting to get rid of that too, but don't quote me on that. I'm not completely sure yet. From what I've read, GFC is powered by GFC, so that may be on the outs soon too. If I get anymore information I'll edit this post, or something. Or if I hear about GFC being taken away completely, I'll make a new post.

Don't forget to do this with any other blogs you follow. Most have multiple ways to follow.

In the meantime, I would trust the following sites the most to receive content from me. I personally will probably be switching over to bloglovin' unless I can find a different RSS reader.

Follow me on bloglovin'

I know I haven't been updating at all this week, I wont until next week. I'm not even home, to be honest, so don't expect anything from me until Monday at the earliest.


What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Google is digging a hole for themselves by making things more difficult for users to access content, therefor pushing them away into using a different outlet? I know some people will use the loss of GFC as a reason to switch to Wordpress, so that should be interesting.


EDIT March 29, 2013: Hellocotton is shutting down. I recommend using either GFC (I've heard that is staying),  Bloglovin' and Feedly (which both have a way to easily import your GR feed.

No comments :

Post a Comment